Friday, July 5, 2013

West-Cut Knife

When I was seventeen years old I went with a couple of
friends to Yosemite National Park in California. Once there,
when we were almost alllllllll the way up to Tuolumne Meadows,
our car broke down. This is a much longer (and fun) story, but
long story short, we coasted the car into a service station and
ended up hitchhiking all around Yosemite for a couple of days until
the car was repaired. Before we began this little adventure I had
decided that I wanted to have a knife (for a couple of reasons). The
knife pictured above is the one that I bought. It was my first
fixed blade knife.
 
 
I didn't know anything at all about knives when I bought this one.
It is a WEST-CUT (Western Cutlery) Knife made in the good ol' U.S.
of A. This is not my oldest knife but it is pretty old. I like the way age
has made it look, even if it is rusty in spots.
 
 
K-5, whatever that is. These knives won't break your bank. I've seen
them sell anywhere from $6 to about $28, used. I don't think they
even make these anymore. Western Cutlery knives are not great
knives at all, but I'm glad I've managed to hold onto this one for
all these years. It brings back some good memories.

No comments: