Saturday, November 9, 2013

 
This is not a good picture as I took it while I was driving, but this is a ranch
I have been driving by from time to time for the last 25 years. It is just outside
of Norco California, "The Horse Capital of the World". What is sad to me is
that I have watched this ranch go from a property that was covered with hundreds
of cattle and horses to what you see in this photo: zero livestock. And although
you cannot see it in the photo, there are now major business parks just a stone's
throw away. I do not know, maybe these folks made a lot of money on a deal.
Perhaps that is why it has dwindled so.

I am reminded of this ranch as yesterday I watched the Lonesome Dove mini-series.
This ranch always reminds me of Clara Allen's ranch in Nebraska, about twenty
miles from Ogallala. Clara was Texas Ranger Augustus McCrae's one true love and
when he went to visit her at this location after not seeing her for many years, it was
a very touching scene, to put it mildly. It never fails to pluck my heart strings.

...anyway.
 
If there is anything I have learned in this life, it is that nothing, and I mean nothing
ever stays the same. If you love something, love it now, because it is just not forever.

No comments: