Monday, February 5, 2018

 I came across a few things from travels when I was much
younger. Here is a brochure I got when I visited a place that
I LOVED: The Ponderosa Ranch from our beloved
Bonanza television show. The Ponderosa was home to the
Cartwrights. Ben, Adam, Hoss, Little Joe, the family friend and
cook, Hop Sing and later in the series, Jamie.

I think that this version of the home was really just built for fans of
the show who wanted badly to visit the Cartwright's home. I don't
think it was used more than once or twice for the show except
maybe for exterior shots.

Interiors and exterior Western Street shots were filmed at Paramount
Studios in Hollywood. There was a Ponderosa Ranch set there inside
a sound stage. Take all of this with a grain of salt though.


Anyway, I loved visiting The Ponderosa at Lake Tahoe. Unfortunately
they closed the park in 2005. The land was purchased by a private party
and fans everywhere just hope that the buyer has not razed the ranch.

I have left my scans of this brochure pretty danged big so that they
can be opened in another window to better see the photos. I like the
photo with Little Joe in the engine of the small train. I wonder how
much he "loved" engineering "Little Joe's Express".

 
On a side note... I found this picture on the Internet. It is a souvenir
tin cup from the Ponderosa Ranch. This is one item that I am so
sorry I did not buy when visiting. I love this cup. Years later some
friends went to the Ponderosa and bought one for my son, when he
was little. I wanted to steal it. I didn't. I should have.
It is long gone now.

No comments: