Sunday, December 5, 2021

I thought that I had posted this before, but I apparently did not, so
here goes. These photos are from my 2010 visit to the Autry Museum
of Western Heritage. Above is the display featuring a chuck wagon.

Everybody probably knows that a chuck wagon is where meals were
prepared for hungry cowboys while on cattle drives etc. The term chuck
wagon came from the word "chuck" which is slang for food. I bet THIS
was a welcome sight at the end of a long day.


"Don't short me on the beans there, cookie. I got my eye on you."
The cooks were often called "cookies". And you did not mess with a cookie.
This man prepared all of your food while on the trail. You give him a hard
time and your meals are going to SUCK. The above cowboy's meals are
going to suck.


And while in this section of The Autry, overhead you will be hearing a
great rendition of "The Old Chisolm Trail" sung by I have no idea. I
love this song and it brings back great memories. I am just hoping that The
Autry does not mind my posting this song. I'll find out I reckon. Please
enjoy the above audio of the song as heard in the museum.

No comments: