Tuesday, August 9, 2016

 
 I recently went to the San Diego Airport to pick somebody
up and before I arrived at the field I had to park a few minutes
in an effort to get my bearings. The freeways around there are
sometimes (for me) not easy to navigate. So I pulled into a lot,
got out of the car and put a few coins in the meter. All of a sudden
I looked up and realized that I was at the Maritime Museum of San
Diego and I was surrounded by ships and submarines.

I took a few pictures and the tall ship you see here is the HMS Surprise.
The Surprise is a replica ship built in Canada in 1970. In 2001 the
Surprise was sold to 20th Century Fox to be used as the Royal Navy
frigate Surprise in the movie "Master and Commander: The Far Side
of the World". In 2007 she was sold to the Maritime Museum and
restored and sails several times a year. She is beautiful.

And she was also used in "Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger
Tides" as the HMS Providence. That was in 2010. Savvy?

No comments: